Great Kilt is the oldest style of kilt which comes with an extra yard of fabric to fold the kilt wearer. It is made from 3 to 6 yards of full-length fabric which is around 54 to 60 inches wide. This kilt was worn by the shepherd and poor people as it was their cloth and blanket at the same time.
There are lots of kilt wearers who still love this amazing piece of fabric and wanted to wear them in today’s time as well. This is the reason that we have our great kilt which is loved by many of our customers due to its awesome design and essence of tradition. However, we did receive a lot of queries in which people were asking us to write a guide on wearing and folding great kilt.
And, on Kilt and Jacks, we always value suggestions by our customers. Therefore, I am writing a detailed guide to let you know that how to wear a great kilt and store it safely.
How to Wear a Great Kilt?
Let’s discuss the first part of our article that is wearing a great kilt. Now without taking much of your time let’s head to it;
The guide will be divided in two main parts; one will be how to put on a great kilt and the other will be wearing a great kilt!
Part 1- Putting on the Great Kilt
Follow these steps to put on a great kilt; If you are looking for Scottish Tartan Kilts then you may visit our collection.
- Step 1- First you need to put on Belt and Lay down on the bed with the knees at the edge of the bed and leave the belt
- Step 2- Now you need to lay the kilt fabric on the bed and make sure that the hem edge is along the edge of the bed.
- Step 3- After that, you need to pleat the fabric and make sure that there are three sections; 1/2 hip of the pleat and 1/2 hip of the apron on each side.
- Step 4- Now you need to lay down on the kilt with knees at the edge of the bed.
- Step 5- Afterwards, you need to spread under the apron and smooth over your body at the right side and then spread over the apron and smooth over the body at the left side. Keep hem and level straight. Now fasten the belt.
- Step 6- Stand up and the kilt will disappear under the pleat that will hang over the kilt about the middle of the shins.
Do check out: How to Wear a Kilt
Part 2- Wearing the Great Kilt
This is the second part of the kilt where you are supposed to wear the Great kilt – Let’s get to it;
- Step 7- Now look at the mirror and observe the form of the kilt with its plaid.
- Step 8- After that you need to take the two ends of the apron plaid in the right hand and the center of the plaid in the right and bring these together over the left shoulder and pin them together with a plaid brooch.
- Step 9- Here you need to the plaid end of the under apron and tuck it under the belt as far around the left side.
- Step 10- Now take the plaid end of the over apron and tuck it under the belt.
- Step 11- The kilt will be now visible from the front, but not from the back.
- Step 12 – Now bring the center of the plaid over the head and then drop the head loop around the neck and fasten it with a brooch. Then you need to pick up the plaid with your both hands at the arm’s length on each side and bring them together to the left shoulder and pin with a brooch at left shoulder.
- Step 13- Now tuck the entire plaid under the belt at the back side. It will be bulky, but will look great on you.
- Step 14- After that take one or several pleats from middle of the plaid and bring to the left shoulder and pin in place.
- Step 15 – That’s it!
How to Fold a Great Kilt?
Now let’s get to the other part of this which is about folding a great kilt. The process is pretty simple and as follows;
- Step 1– First of you need to lay off the Canvas protective cover on the bed.
- Step 2- Flip the plaid over the head and lie it down on the canvas cover and then pleat the kilt as you do to put it on. Make sure you carefully put the pleats.
- Step 3- Take the upper and under apron and fold it over the pleated part.
- Step 4- Now smooth out all the wrinkles and folds carefully.
- Step 5- Afterwards, you are supposed to take plaid end of this assembly plaid and fold it to the hem edge of the kilt.
- Step 6- Now fold the canvas cover over the kilt and tie it and you need to roll the kilt as tightly as you can from the fold to the hem edge.
- Step 7- At last, tie the kilt closed!
See here: Which Kilt is best for you?
This was my discussion on the great kilt and I am sure you guys have got a clear idea about it. You may directly contact us for personal assistance as we will be more than happy to assist you. Our Great kilts are made up of various tartans and it is pure quality.
Don’t forget to share this with fellow kilt lovers as it may be helpful for them.